lördag 13 september 2008

immutable and impossible

(click image for enlarged version)
drypastels, colourpencils and cheap hairspray probably on the wrong kind of paper
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samtidigt som jag lyssnar på musik och klagar över vissa typer av konstnärsmaterial och verktyg sitter jag faktiskt själv och målar. "Det här är för mycket, det här är för litet...!" berättar jag för min samtalspartner. Fullt medveten om att jag aldrig någonsin skulle kunna lura honom till att tro att jag vet vad jag talar om vågar jag kanske just därför framföra rätt ohyfsade åsikter. Vänskapen har hittills bestått...

Jag har inte den minsta utbildning i målning eller teckning eller i hur man använder olika verktyg och tekniker på ett korrekt sätt. För att vara ärlig är jag är ganska säker på att jag misshandlar det mesta av mitt material på ett vis som i bästa fall måhända kan uppfattas som nyskapande men knappast ändamålsenligt.

Det är därför billig och värdelös hårspray köpt i all hast, och därför senare förpassad från badrumrumsskåpet, oftast hamnar som fixativ på mina pastellmålningar och inte i mitt hår.

Borde jag ompröva mina prioriteringar?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While - and inbetween - listening to music and complaining about certain kinds of artist's material and tools I sit and paint. "This is too that, and that is too this...!" I tell my partner in conversation. Since I'm fully aware I could never ever fool him into thinking I know what I'm talking about I dare to be quite rude in my opinions. We've always ended up as friends so far...

I don't have the slightest education in painting or drawing or how to use different tools and techniques in a proper way. To be honest I'm pretty sure I'm assaulting most of my material in ways that maybe might sound innovative but hardly adequate.

That's why cheap and useless hairsprays bought in a hurry, and therefore later dispached from the bathroom cupbord, more often end up as fixative on my pastel paintings than they do in my hair.

Should I reconsider my priorities?

6 kommentarer:

Hon som lägger puzzlet sa...

Fortsätt att vara det du är. Ändra dig inte till något som inte är du!

Unknown sa...

Do not change your priorities. Please. Pastels....be still my absent mind. The only form of art outside of photography and words that I still dabble in is pastels (both oils and chalk).

May I say that this is wonderful in both colour tones and texture of the leaves. I say use whatever mediums we have from newspaper to canvas and let the creativity flow.

Anonym sa...

Very cool of you to show the singer of Smashing Pumpkins!

Lady of the Lake sa...

Puzzle

Nej då, jag har mycket svårt att vara någon annan än den jag är! Som du kankse lagt märke till av påföljande inlägg... :-)

Pip

Thank You! I always tell my adepts at work that creativity is more important than technique, but knowing HOW to do things certainly facilitates and supports what You WANT to do - there is just no getting away from that fact.

Pastels are my favourite media in painting. Pastels, paper and fingertips.

Would be nice to see some of YOUR creations, Pip! :-)

Lilitha

I love Smashing Pumpkins, in any form they might appear.

Anonym sa...

I think it is exquisite me dear!! Makes me long for fall to come!

Lady of the Lake sa...

Thank You, dear Gypsy-Heart! Knowing Your talent I feel very honoured by Your opinion. I would like to paint more often than I do - 'cause to be honest I like painting more than photographing - taking photos is much quicker though... My camera is more of a "first-aid-kit" to ease the tortures of an overwhelming need to capture beauty. ;-)