lördag 25 oktober 2008

my personal saint

This lady might be familiar to some of You, she has been blogged before, both on "Lady of the Lake" (in swedish) and on the blog of a close friend. Now I want to introduce her also to my dear blogvisitors from abroad.

I do not know the actual name of this lady, not even her true origin but at least she is no garden gnome, because if she was I would never allow her to take residence on my working desk as she is doing now. The most likely scenario is biblical, but I somehow get the feeling that the women in the biblical stories just went on carrying their water pitchers day in day out, and that's probably the reason why it can be a little difficult to distinguish one from the other. On the shelf however, it is written "Venezia" and so from now on that's what I will call her.

Venezia once upon a time stood on my grandmother's mirror table approximately one or two meters away from the bed where I was sleeping during "family emergencies" - by that I mean being sick and abscent from the daycare centre or school, or for other reasons that simply required I'd stay at my grandparent's overnight. Then, after some time had passed, she by accident or quite deliberately ended up in my parents storage room. Perhaps it was there where she lost her head, or maybe she had already lost it at an earlier stage. Anyway, until that happened she was always there for me with her comforting presence, like that time when I was struck with the mumps and my own head swelled up into a huge pear-shaped creature. Likewise, she was present to with mild admonition remind me that even a hundred mosquito bites are not worth scraping, that a fever and a sore throat seldome means the arrival of the grim reaper and that chickenpox after all doesn't last forever. Venezia laughed at me only once - yes, I am sure! - and that was when my father came to tell me our family had been blessed with a little brother and I just could not accept the fact that it was true. I mean, from where could he possibly have arrived, all of a sudden?

Venezia is my saint. She stands proud with her head lying at her own feet, with her back straight and persistent in her grace, as a daily reminder that maybe it is not such a bad thing after all to lose your head every once in awhile. And I want her that way! Oh - and if You're wondering - the thing she is holdning in her arms is a dove. La Paloma. Le Pigeon. Eine Taube. It's wings are a little crumpled and it has lost it's face. Of course. But I don't mind. How could it be any other way...?



Here, some music - too beautiful really! - to go with my impious statements. On the other hand, when wondering about the story behind the lyrics of this georgian song, I happened to find following explanation: "Actually, the singer tells us that he was walking down a small river and met a pretty woman holding a pitcher on her shoulder. He said something to her and she got mad and moved aside from him. That's the whole story."

If You recognize the choir it is to be found also in "Hello earth" by Kate Bush!

6 kommentarer:

Writing on Board sa...

Love your blog. I'll be back for more language lessons and music and photos. Thank you.

CH sa...

Henne kommer jag verkligen ihåg. När hon bloggades första gången skrev du:

Utmaning nr 1: ”du förefaller mig ha en viss fäbless för det stilrena, men om jag mejlar dig ett foto på "kitsch med stillsam dramatik", översätter du då för mig vad individen på fotot berättar - utöver det uppenbara? /.. / Konstnärssjälen behöver ibland utlopp i ett vardagssammanhang som inte alltid är vare sig humoristiskt magiskt eller kreativt *ler med ena mungipan*”

Och jag svarade:

Ja vad är kitschigt och vad berättar individen på fotot åt mig? Figuren är definitivt inte kitschig i mina ögon eftersom hon intar en central plats i din verklighet. För mig hade hon lätt varit kitschig i ett mera vårdslöst sammanhang. Eller i en grupp med trädgårdstomtar plastsvanar eller annat krimskrams som folk köper i sin rädsla för tomheten. Saker som blir substitut för livsinnehåll. Nej nu står hon där utvald men lite trött för hon har varit omtyckt av andra långt innan hon hamnade hos dig. Inte stått undanskymd utan varit närvarande. Det skvallrar patinan om. Hennes väsen ger mig ro förutom det där som hon håller i sina händer och den detaljen irriterar mig eftersom jag inte kan uppfatta vad det är. Flera lösgjorda kroppsdelar? Och så till det helt uppenbara: vi behöver alla tappa huvudet ibland.

Anni

Det var ett tag sedan och vad allt har inte hänt efter det.

Hur många gånger har man tappat huvudet.

Lady of the Lake sa...

Writer on board

Thank You very much, and by all means DO feel welcome! I'll soon visite Your cybercorner aswell!
:-)

Ch

Ja, vad allt har inte hänt sedan dess, kära bror! *KRAM*

For You and for everybody else:

Today Ch is one of my closest friends and Venezia is in fact what once brought us together. While blogging under another signature and not really being aware of who he was I approached Ch - known for his genius in interior design - with a challenge: "If I mail You an image of kitsch surrounded by silent drama, would You be kind enough to tell me ME what the picture tells YOU, besides the obvious?" To be honest I did it because I was bored...

The answer coming from Ch was honest and polite, and the concluding "verdict" I will always remember: "We all need to lose our heads sometimes".

Well, maybe we really do! Doesn't hurt to have good friends who keep track of our spinning and rolling heads, though. The way You do.

Thank You for being!

Unknown sa...

"Likewise, she was present to with mild admonition" -- this is just great - I know that statue.

There is a statue in my grandparents house that this reminded me of. It sits in a room that will forever be my great grandmothers and I am blessed at usually being given this room when home in Norwich (UK). Good thoughts, good memories.

Thank you for sharing. And the line that Ch gave is wonderful - "We all need to lose our heads sometimes".

PS. Good Music, and Kate Bush reference - marvelous!

Anonym sa...

"tiefer, tiefer - irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht!"

Lady of the Lake sa...

Pip

Doesn't take much to make a saint, does it? Just an old statue and the imagination of a child, and then either the statue OR the child will become a saint. It all has to do with the density of admonition. ;-D

Thank YOU for sharing!

Matha

Naja, endlich! Sort of thought there are enough germanspeaking people around here for at least SOMEONE to notice! You did! :-)