måndag 21 mars 2011

teen issues


When my brother was in his teens he used to walk either 3 m infront of, or 3 m behind, our parents. I'm six years older than him and by that time I had already forgotten about my own adolescent behavior. I doubt it was that much different from his.

When my cousin was about to get married, and we prepared for the wedding, we were all devastated by my brother's haircut. Or the lack of haircut, really, but would he visite the hairdressers? - No.

I'm a social councellor. I work with all age groups, but mostly young people. I'm ok at what I do. My adepts seldome despise me. Yet, when it comes to my own son, who is now thirteen... I must be the most embarrassing mother in the whole wide world. On the world wide web too, he will claim after this blogpost right here. He will also roll his eyes and then with a heavy sigh notify me of the fact that his dad is not much better, nor his grandparents and that we all need to realize the world has changed since the fall of the Roman Empire...

So, what do I do, after embarrassing the kid infront of his peers by simply being my own silly self? (that is breathing, looking, saying hello... or merely excisting as evidence he was once an infant...) Well, I apologize. I tell him I meant no harm. That I'm not yet as well educated in being the parent of a teenager, that he needs to give me instructions for the rules applied to his areena, that I need some time to adjust to the new standards... and that I love him.

All of this is true. Those last words I would of course have to whisper. Or say only when no-one's listening. Not with too much affection, either. Just... hint... actually.

After that I would probably suggest we'd make chicken sticks for dinner.

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

Remember - I'm a mother of a 12year old son... and I can understand your feelings.
Goldilocks grows up, having a girl-friend, gets his own views.
An exercise in selfless love.
Somebody told me this days: who said it would be easy? ;o)

Lady of the Lake sa...

Guess we all experience similar things. :-) I've been blessed with a very emotionally competent son and I really am his student when it comes to teenage behavior and thoughts. I have not gone as far as to consult him with my job-related issues yet, but I have a feeling I might just aswell do it - he has already explained a lot to me that is appliable to all sorts of challenges regarding young people.

The girlfriend is yet to come, though. Fortunately. Not too soon I hope. ;-)